Written by Michele Hickford, Editor-in-Chief on October 2, 2015
According to a 2013 Pew Research study, 37 percent of households had an adult who owned a gun — 24 percent said they owned a gun, and 13 percent said someone else in their household did.
There are about 319 million people in the United States, so that means there are about 118 million gun owners in this nation.
The “Mass Shooting Tracker” counts any incident where four or more people are shot, whether fatally or not, as a mass shooting. For 2015 so far, this tracker counts 294 incidents — of those, there are names for only 45 of the shooters, which leads me to believe the others are gang or crime related. But let’s assume for a moment all 294 shooters were actually law-abiding, legal gun owners.
That means, out of 118 million gun owners, 249 or .00025 percent of the gun-owning population are potential mass shooters.
Of course, now the gun control activists are out in force. Any person who legally owns a gun must be a certified nut bag.
It is a sad truth that there are likely more mentally ill individuals in our nation who will one day get their hands on guns, legally or illegally, and take the lives of some innocent souls.
But some perspective is needed.
According to the Mass Shooting Tracker, 375 individuals have been killed during a mass shooting in 2015.
Now compare that number to 10,076. According to MADD, that’s the number of people killed during drunk driving crashes in 2013 alone. In fact, every day in America, another 28 people die in drunk driving crashes. Every. Single. Day.
Using the liberal logic of banning guns because of tragic (and thankfully, comparatively rare) mass shootings undertaken by crazy white folks (and some not so white), should we not then ban cars?
Cars clearly cause many more fatalities in terms of numbers each day than whack nuts with a gun.
Heck, we should ban bathtubs too. Because 341 people die from drowning and submersion while in or falling into bathtubs. And floors. We need to ban floors too, because 565 people die each year from slipping, tripping or falling.
I don’t mean to be flippant, or to trivialize this terrible tragedy. But as the stories fly around in the next few days regarding this event, you can be darn tootin’ liberals will begin pushing their agendas.
It’s useful to have some facts at your fingertips to provide some perspective – because you’ll never get that from the mainstream media.
18 mayors sent a letter to Obama telling him that they want MORE Syrian refugees. Is your mayor on this list?
Remember Syracuse is the city that saw a beautiful Catholic Church become a mosque. I’m guessing the mayor wants to see more of that because the majority of the Syrians to be admitted to the US through the UN are Sunni Muslims. Kind of ironic that they penned this letter when the Pope was here. Does he want more Muslims to take over more Catholic Churches worldwide?
Clearly Catholic Charities and Mayor Miner of Syracuse do!
Mayor Stephanie Miner is one of 18 mayors encouraging President Barack Obama to accept additional Syrian refugees into the United States.
Miner signed a letter, sent to Obama, that calls for an increase of the number of refugees the U.S. will accept in the next two years. Obama has already pledged to take 10,000 Syrian refugees and increase the overall refugee allowance to 100,000 by 2017.
“Our cities have been transformed by the skills and the spirit of those who come to us from around the world,” the letter reads. “The drive and enterprise of immigrants and refugees have helped build our economies, enliven our arts and culture, and enrich our neighborhoods.”
All 18 mayors are members of Cities United for Immigration Action, a coalition pushing for immigration reform. Along with Miner, mayors from Los Angeles, New York City, Pittsburgh, Boston and Chicago signed the letter. [I bet if you dug into this group, you would find it another George Soros-funded group.—ed]
Syracuse currently accepts between 1,100 and 1,200 refugees each year. Two organizations — Catholic Charities of Onondaga County and Interfaith Works CNY — resettle refugees in Syracuse.
“We have taken in refugees, and will help make room for thousands more,” the letter reads.”
Here are the 18 cities which need new mayors:
Ed Pawlowski, Mayor of Allentown, PA
Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Mayor of Baltimore, MD
Martin J. Walsh, Mayor of Boston, MA
James Diossa, Mayor of Central Falls, RI
Mark Kleinschmidt, Mayor of Chapel Hill, NC
Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago, IL
Edward Terry, Mayor of Clarkston, GA
Nan Whaley, Mayor of Dayton, OH
Domenick Stampone, Mayor of Haledon, NJ
Pedro E. Segarra, Mayor of Hartford, CT
Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles, CA
Betsy Hodges, Mayor of Minneapolis, MN
Bill de Blasio, Mayor of New York City, NY
Jose Torres, Mayor of Paterson, NJ
William Peduto, Mayor of Pittsburgh, PA
Javier Gonzales, Mayor of Santa Fe, NM
Francis G. Slay, Mayor of St. Louis, MO
Stephanie A. Miner, Mayor of Syracuse, NY
YES, LET’S BLAME THE GUNS.
Six people were killed and at least eight people were wounded, including an 11-month-old boy and a 2-year-old boy, during a bloody start to the week in Chicago that saw 10 of the victims shot at two scenes less than 3 miles apart on the South Side.
The first of those shootings occurred Monday evening when a family on its way back from an outing was gunned down in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, leaving a pregnant mother and a grandmother dead and three others — including an 11-month-old boy — wounded, police said.
The second multiple shooting occurred about five hours later when two men and the mother of a 4-year-old were killed and two other people were wounded near a playground in the Fuller Park neighborhood on the South Side, according to police. A sister said the woman was killed coming to the aid of a relative.
The burst of violence follows two straight weekends when more than 50 people were shot in Chicago. That’s the first time that has happened on back-to-back weekends over the four years the Tribune has been tracking shootings. In August, more than 40 were shot on four consecutive weekends.
So far this year, at least 2,300 people have been shot in Chicago, about 400 more than during the same period last year, according to a Tribune analysis. Through Sunday, homicides have risen to 359, up 21 percent from 296 a year earlier, according to preliminary data from Chicago police.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Tuesday addressed the shooting in Back of the Yards, saying he was angry and “enough is enough.”
As he often does, Emanuel railed against the poor values of gangbangers. “Wherever you live, you should be able to get out of your car and go to your home,” said Emanuel, who attended the opening of a renovated Red Line CTA station at Clark and Division streets.
The mayor then returned to his oft-repeated themes of making all Chicago neighborhoods equally safe and calling for tougher penalties for crimes involving guns.
“You can say this happened in the neighborhood of the Back of the Yards, but everybody (who) woke up this morning, or heard it last night, felt a pain of anguish, and it’s time that our criminal justice system and the laws as it relates to access to guns and the penalties for using ’em reflect the values of the people of the city of Chicago,” Emanuel said.
In the Back of the Yards shooting, family members were getting out of their car in the 5300 block of South Aberdeen Street around 7:15 p.m. when another car drove up and shots were fired, according to Deputy Chief of Detectives Eugene Roy.
Patricia Chew, pregnant with her third child, was shot in the right side, and her 11-month-old son, Princeton, was shot in the left side. The boy’s grandmother, Lolita Wells, was shot in the leg, according to relatives and police.
Patricia Chew and Wells were pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital. Relatives said Chew was 25 and Wells was 48. Police said the mother was 24 and the grandmother was 46.
“In a second, two generations of that child’s family were wiped out,” Roy said at the scene.
A police officer took the boy to Stroger Hospital, where he underwent a CT scan and his condition was stabilized. Princeton was up and talking late Monday, family members said as they stood outside Stroger.
A 25-year-old man was shot in both legs and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and another 25-year-old man was taken to Mount Sinai with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. One of the men was in critical condition, and the other man injuries that were not life-threatening.
Persha Chew told reporters at the hospital that she was carrying groceries into her home when she heard gunshots. She ran outside and saw her nephew and her pregnant sister bleeding on the ground.
Persha Chew said she kept telling her nephew, “It’s OK. It’s OK. I’m here.” She was wearing a white T-shirt streaked with her nephew’s blood.
The Fuller Park shooting occurred at 12:10 a.m. Tuesday in the 300 block of West 42nd Street, police said. Five people were outside near a playground when two gunmen stepped from an alley and shot them, according to police.
A woman, identified by family as 22-year-old Ayanna Northern, was hit in the chest and pronounced dead at the scene. Her relatives said she had a 4-year-old daughter.
A 25-year-old man was shot in the head and taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died, police said. A 30-year-old man was also shot in the head and later died at Stroger Hospital, police said.
A 24-year-old woman was struck in the leg and was taken to Stroger, where her condition was stabilized. A 36-year-old man walked into Provident Hospital shortly after the shooting with a leg wound.
Northern and her relatives were having a barbecue in honor of a cousin who died 12 years ago in a car accident when the gunfire erupted, relatives said.
Northern’s cousin, the 24-year-old woman, was hit in the leg by the first bullets. Northern was shot as she tried to help her relative, said Northern’s younger sister, Zenobia Northern, 20.
Zenobia Northern stood in shock near the crime scene early Tuesday. A button with a picture of a her cousin who died in the car accident was still clipped to her red plaid shirt.
She said her oldest sister leaves behind a 4-year-old daughter. “I just … I just can’t believe this right now,” Northern said.
Police reported no one in custody in either the Back of the Yards or Fuller Park shootings Tuesday morning.
In other shootings since midday Monday:
• An 18-year-old man was fatally shot around 10:50 a.m. in the 100 block of North Kedzie Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, according to Officer Janel Sedevic, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department.
The man was shot several times in the chest and arm and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Sedevic said.
• A 2-year-old boy was a grazed by a bullet during an accidental shooting around 1:45 a.m. Tuesday in the Grand Crossing neighborhood on the Far South Side, according to Officer Amina Greer, a police spokeswoman.
The boy was inside a home in the 7000 block of South Harper Avenue when someone accidentally fired a gun, grazing the boy’s leg, police said. The boy was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where he was in good condition, Greer said.
Police were questioning a relative of the boy.
• Around 10:50 p.m., a 26-year-old man was wounded in the West Englewood neighborhood on the South Side, according to Officer Hector Alfaro, a police spokesman.
The man was riding a bicycle in the 7100 block of South Winchester Avenue when someone fired shots from a gangway, Alfaro said. The man was hit in the back and taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, the spokesman said.
• Around 9:30 p.m., in the 5100 block of South Prairie Avenue in the Washington Park neighborhood, a 23-year-old man was shot in the left shoulder, police said.
The man was standing on the street when someone in a vehicle fired shots at him, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was stabilized.
The Tribune’s Rosemary Regina Sobol, Carlos Sadovi and Dawn Rhodes contributed.