‘Nail Bomb’ at UK Ariana Grande Show ‘Islamic State Group’: We Carried Out Attack Horror: Eight-year-old among dead

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.33.27

by BREITBART LONDON 22 May 2017

22 people have been confirmed dead and around 50 others are injured following reports of multiple explosions after an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester in the North of England on Monday Evening.

Greater Manchester Police originally said there had been a “number of fatalities and others injured” at the Manchester Arena, where Grammy-nominated pop singer Ariana Grande was performing. Nineteen people were confirmed dead as of 8pm EST.

Eyewitness accounts posted to social media show convoys of ambulances moving to the centre of Manchester as thousands of music fans fled the Manchester Evening News Arena.

Live updates:

UPDATE 1415 — Third victim named

“Beautiful soul” 26-year-old John Atkinson has been named as the third victim of the Manchester attack.

UPDATE 1355 — Police raid Manchester home of suspected killer, use controlled explosion

Armed police used explosives to enter a house in Elsmore Road, Fallowfield, Manchester in the past hour reports the Manchester Evening News, which is understood to be the former residence of the suicide bomber who killed 22 at last night’s Ariana Grande concert. A neighbour told the paper:

“There were about 20 armed officers in all black with machine guns. There were another 20 uniformed officers who were in the street.

“There were also plain clothes officers who were also armed. The road was cordoned off, but there was no evacuation of the street”.

The force subsequently confirmed there had been a “controlled explosion” at the property as part of the investigation.

There have been others raids across the city Tuesday, including one near a supermarket where a witness reported possibly seeing “an Asian guy” being arrested.

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.41.14

UPDATE 1335 — Casualty numbers – 12 children under 16 years old amongst injured

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.42.13

Medical professionals speaking from Manchester Royal Infirmary have confirmed that following reports of the terror attack shortly after 10:30 pm Monday night, plans for responding to mass casualty events were put into action by the emergency and hospital services.

At 10:46, a response was mounted and 60 vehicles were sent to the Manchester Arena with highly specialised crews who were able to stabilise patients at the scene before transporting 59 patients to local A&Es in the Greater Manchester area. Patients in need of surgery were sent straight to theatre without delay.

Patients were sent to the following hospitals:

Manchester Royal Infirmary – 9 casualties

Salford Royal Trust – 6 casualties

Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital – 12 casualties

University Hospital South Manchester – 6 casualties

Stepping Hill Hospital Stockport – 6 casualties

Bolton Hospital – 8 casualties

Royal Aldham Hospital – 7 casualties

North Manchester Hospital – 5 casualties

There was also a number of walking wounded who were not transported by emergency services.

UPDATE 1325 — Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos second named victim

Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos has been named as the second victim of the Manchester suicide bombing, reports the Guardian. The schoolgirl had been at the concert with her mother and sister, both of whom were taken to hospital last night for shrapnel injuries.

The headmaster of Saffie’s school Tarleton Community primary school said in a statement to the paper: “Saffie was simply a beautiful little girl in every aspect of the word. She was loved by everyone and her warmth and kindness will be remembered fondly. Saffie was quiet and unassuming with a creative flair”.

UPDATE 1315 — Full text of Islamic State claim

The Site Intelligence Group, a monitoring organisation which has access to the Islamic State’s media channels including the Amaq news agency has repoduced the English-language version of the Islamic State claim for responsibility for last night’s attack. Calling the Ariana Grande concert a “gathering of the Crusaders in the British city of Manchester… the shameless concert arena”, the release referred to the children at the show “worshippers of the cross” and the attacker “a soldier of the Khalifa”.

What this claim means for the investigation is unclear. The Islamic State has claimed many terror attacks in Europe in recent years — an easy thing to do if the killer is already dead. It may be the case that while the Islamic State didn’t have advance warning of the attack the killer may have been inspired by Islamic State propaganda, and informed by Islamic State documents on bomb making and attacks as has been the case in the past.

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.46.03

UPDATE 1300 — Associated Press: Islamic State claim responsibility for Manchester Suicide Bombing

The Associated Press agency has reported the Islamic State group has claimed one of their members was responsible for last night’s attack. More follows.

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.47.30

 

UPDATE 1220 — HM Queen Elizabeth II’s Statement

British Monarch Queen Elizabeth II has sent a message to the Lord Lieutenant of Greater Manchester, a traditional means of addressing the people of Manchester through her official senior representative in the city. The Queen said:

The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert.

I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured.

I want to thank all the members of the emergency services, who have responded with such professionalism and care.

And I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity.

ELIZABETH R.

UPDATE 11550 — Manchester Police make arrest

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.49.18

Greater Manchester Police have announced their first arrest following Monday night’s suicide bomb attack on the Arena music venue, who has been identified as a “23-year-old man in South Manchester”.

The arrest comes after Manchester’s major Arndale shopping centre was evacuated late Tuesday morning. Hundreds of shoppers and staff were seen fleeing the area in tears. A man was arrested at the centre but Manchester Police said it was not “currently beleived to be connected to last night’s attacks”.

The shopping centre was the site of a 1996 IRA terror attack which caused millions of pounds of damage to property, but caused no fatalities.

UPDATE 1140 — Prime Minister Theresa May’s statment following a meeting of COBRA

In a statement by the prime minister following a meeting of the Government’s crisis response committee COBRA, Theresa May praised emergency and security services for their response and the generosity and strength of the people of Manchester.

The prime minister confirmed there have been 22 fatalities and 59 people were injured, some with life-threatening conditions.

On the attack, the prime minister said:

“We now know a terrorist detonated his improvised explosive device near one of the exits of the venue, delivered at a time and place to cause maximum carnage and to kill indiscriminately at the end of a pop concert which was attended by many young families and groups of children.

“All acts of terror are cowardly attacks against innocent people, but this attack stands out for it appalling sickening cowardliness deliberately targeting innocent children and young people who should have been enjoying the night of their lives.”

She confirmed: “The threat level remains at ‘severe’, meaning that a terror event is likely, but the independent joint analysis centre, which sets the threat level on the basis of intelligence available to them, will continue to assess this throughout the day and in the days ahead.”

The prime minister will travel to Manchester to meet the chief constable of Greater Manchester Police Ian Hopkins, the mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham, and members of the emergency services.

Mrs. May will chair another meeting of COBRA later on Tuesday.

UPDATE 1055 — President Trump’s Comments from Bethlehem

United States President Donald Trump has condemend the “evil losers” who perpetrated the Manchester attack while speaking in Bethlehem. Get the full story from Breitbart Jerusalem.

UPDATE 1050 — General Election Campaigning Suspended

Britain is just fifteen full days away from the next general election, and campaigning has been suspended by all major parties out of respect for the dead following Manchester’s suicide bombing at the Manchester Arena. Read the full story at Breitbart London.

UPDATE 1040 — Prime Minister to make a statement shortly

The press pack are assembled outside 10 Downing Street, waiting on the Prime Minister who is expected to make a statement on last night’s suicide bombing, following her meeting with the ‘COBRA’ national security council this morning. Updates to come.

UPDATE 1030 — London Bus Station Evacuated Over ‘Suspicious Package’

Victoria coach station, the main hub for coach travel in and out of the capital was evacuated this morning after a “suspicious package” was discovered, just hours after last night’s Manchester suicide bombing.

London’s Metropolitan Police told the public to stay clear of the area as they closed off nearby roads. The area was later declared safe as officers assessed the package to be non-threatening.

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.53.38

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.54.34

UPDATE 0500 EST (1000 BST) — First victim named as 18-year-old Georgina Callander

The first victim named following the terror attack at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester Monday night has been confirmed as 18-year-old Georgina Callander.

It is believed she was one of the first people rushed to hospital after the attack. According to a close friend, the teen died with her mother by her bedside in hospital.

On Sunday, she had tweeted that she was “so excited” to see Ariana Grande who she was pictured with two years ago.

Friends of Georgina described her as “a beautiful girl with the kindest heart and soul”.

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.56.22

UPDATE 0400 EST (0900 BST) — Death toll at 22

Greater Manchester Police have confirmed the explosion at Monday night’s Ariana Grande concert at Manchester City Arena was a terror attack, with the perpetrator dying in the explosion. The death toll has risen from 19 to 22, and children are confirmed amongst the dead.

UPDATE 22:37 EST — North West Ambulance Service has released an update on the casualties of the attack.

The ambulance service has said that there still remain 19 fatalities and the number of injured has increased to 59.

UPDATE 22:08 EST — Greater Manchester police confirm 19 dead, 50 injured at 6 hospitals and call incident a terror attack.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins gave a brief press conference confirming the number of victims and said the incident is being investigated as terrorism. Hopkins said for people to avoid the area as emergency workers are still working at the scene.

UPDATE 21:55 EST — Witness claims there was a total lack of security at the concert.

Eyewitness Chris Pawley appeared on Tucker Carlson on Fox News this evening and said that there was very little security at the Arianna Grande concert. “I’ve been to concerts before and sometimes you get patted down, or have to empty your pockets. There was absolutely nothing at this concert tonight,” he said.

UPDATE 21:31 EST — Dr Sebastian Gorka noted the attack occurred on the anniversary of the killing of soldier Lee Rigby.

Dr Gorka, an adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump, tweeted that the attack occurred on the same day as Rigby’s murder, which took place four years ago. “Dates matter to jihadi terrorists,” he wrote.

Screenshot 2017-05-23 09.59.46

UPDATE 21:26 EST — UK Prime Minister Theresa May has issued a statement on the attack.

“We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack.” Ms May went on to add, “all our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected.”

UPDATE 21:00 EST — Reuters suggests a “suicide bomber” may be responsible:

Initial signs point to a suicide bomber as the cause of a blast at a music venue in Manchester, England, that killed 19 people and injured 50, two U.S. officials who spoke on condition of anonymity said on Monday.

British police said they are treating the explosion at a concert for U.S. singer Ariana Grande as a “terrorist incident.”

Screenshot 2017-05-23 10.01.31

UPDATE 20:59 EST — Further eyewitness reports suggest a “nail bomb” may have been used. 

Gary Walker, who was at the show with his wife and two daughters, told the New York Times he “heard a massive bang and saw a flash”.

The NYT reports: “He turned and realized that his wife had been hurt. Mr. Walker, who is from the northern city of Leeds, said she had a stomach wound and possibly a broken leg. He said he lay down with her and saw “metal nuts on the floor.””

UPDATE 20:56 EST — Nigel Farage tells Breitbart London: “We have literally not even debated immigration let alone security so far in this election. All the reasons people voted for Brexit have been airbrushed from the debate”. The Brexit leader was keen to stress how there has not yet been a motive or suspect confirmed, and how the last nail bomb in the United Kingdom was used by an “anti-gay” Neo Nazi.

He stated his belief, however, that Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn — who is perceived as soft on terrorism and security issues — would be the most likely to suffer politically ahead of the UK General Election on June 8.

UPDATE 20:48 — There are no claims regarding the attack yet, but ISIS-supporting social media accounts have been reported to have been “celebrating” the incident:

Screenshot 2017-05-23 10.03.31

UPDATE 20:44 — Former UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage

has told Fox News this is a “new low”, in the sense that the explosions appear to have targeted children. It is worth noting that while Greater Manchester Police are keeping terrorism high on the agenda in terms of assessing this attack, it has not yet been confirmed.

“This is going to be a very big shock for the country… Actually terror, open door immigration have played relatively low roles in the election so far.”

UPDATE 20:35 — Police are performing controlled explosions in the local area:

Screenshot 2017-05-23 10.05.42

UPDATE 20:25 — CBS reports a large group of young girls are amongst those dead. Various news outlets are also now reporting the possibility of the explosions containing nails, which has not yet been confirmed by local authorities:

Screenshot 2017-05-23 10.06.45

UPDATE 20:10 — Police report 19 dead, 50+ injured:

Screenshot 2017-05-23 10.07.36

UPDATE 19:48 — Eyewitness Kiara Dawber has told CNN: “There as a massive, massive explosion, a bang, there as smoke coming up through the steps. Everyone was screaming and shouting… it could be a bomb, people were screaming for their kids…. there were bodies scattered about everywhere… we were just running through the road… it was just chaos… you could see people were just dead… passed away… there was a lot of blood”.

UPDATE 19:30 EST — Eyewitness David Richardson is quoted by the Manchester Evening News

“The lights came on after the gig and people were starting to leave. As I turned to the left there was an explosion. It was about 40ft behind us near one of the exits. We just thought it was people messing about then it happened again. Another explosion sounded.

“Then we saw the smoke. Everyone just fled. Some people were injured. We saw blood on people when we got outside. People were just running all over the place.

“People have said it was a speaker or balloons but it wasn’t. It was explosions.”

UPDATE 19:24 EST — Bomb disposal units have been seen entering the area around the arena.

Original story follows:

Greater Manchester Police and the local NHS trust confirmed they had responded to a “serious incident” at the Manchester Arena, and urged members of the public to stay clear of the area.

Manchester’s Victoria railway station has been evacuated and all lines closed — both mainline services and local Metrolink trams. National Rail said in a statement that “Disruption is expected to continue until the end of the day”.

A spokesman for Ariana Grande told media the songstress was safe.

Eyewitness Andy Holey told the BBC he saw “several bodies”. He said the explosion was near the ticket office and he was blown off his feet by the blast, while another eyewitness, Ivo Delgado told CNN he heard “a big bang and little ones”.

The Manchester Evening News reports “two loud bangs” in the vicinity of the Manchester Arena. Video posted to social media platform Twitter shows the moments after the event in the arena, and in which the sounds of screams and panic are clear.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s