Evidence markers are placed at the scene where a 28-year-old man was shot multiple times and killed in the 100 block of South Western Avenue Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2017, in the Near West Side neighborhood of Chicago. The man was transported to Stroger Hospital in critical condition and later pronounced dead.
By Mohammed Kloub and Madeline Buckley
The man, dead from a gunshot wound to the neck, remained in the silver SUV as police worked the scene on the Southwest Side early Thursday.
A woman who lived nearby retrieved a pink blanket from inside her home and gave it to police. Officers draped it over the driver’s side window.
Police say the man was shot as he sat in the SUV in the 4900 block of South Komensky Avenue in Archer Heights around 3:50 a.m., waiting to pick up a friend, police said. The friend told police he heard shots and found his friend unresponsive in the SUV.
The SUV remained parked in the middle of Komensky, shattered glass on the ground, as police interviewed two women and a man who stood on a porch near the SUV.
The man was one of nine people shot in Chicago between Wednesday morning and early Thursday, two of them fatally.
The other homicide occurred around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday when a 28-year-old man was shot several times in an alley in the 100 block of South Western Avenue in the Near West Side neighborhood, police said. The man was taken to Stroger Hospital and pronounced dead, according to police.
Just hours later, in about the same location, a 55-year-old man was grazed in the shoulder blade around 1:45 a.m. Thursday in the 100 block of South Western Avenue. Police said he was driving south on Western when someone fired at him from a vehicle. He declined medical attention.
A Chicago Police officer carries a sheet to cover the window of a car at the scene where a 24-year-old man was shot and killed inside the vehicle in the 4900 block of South Komensky Avenue Thursday, Oct. 12, 2017, in the Archer Heights neighborhood of Chicago.
Chicago Police officers work at the scene where a 24-year-old man was shot and killed inside a vehicle in the 4900 block of South Komensky Avenue Thursday, Oct. 12, 2017, in the Archer Heights neighborhood of Chicago.
• On the Far South Side about 7:15 p.m. Wednesday, a 19-year-old man was shot in the 1900 block of West 119th Street in the Morgan Park neighborhood. The man went to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition was stabilized. The man was in a car when he was shot.
• About 6:35 p.m. on the West Side, two men were shot in the 200 block of South California Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, police said. The men, 18 and 19, were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition. The men were on foot when someone fired at them from a vehicle, police said.
• Around 5:20 p.m. on the Near West Side, a 27-year-old man was shot in the 1900 block of West Harrison Street in the Medical District. He was dropped off at Stroger Hospital in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the right leg, police said.
• About 5 p.m. on the West Side, a 49-year-old man was shot in the leg in the 600 block of North Lamon Avenue in Austin, according to police. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition had stabilized. Police said the man was walking down the street when someone shot him from a white vehicle.
• Around 2:45 p.m. in the West Side’s East Garfield Park neighborhood, a man was shot in the face while being robbed in the 3600 block of West Huron Street, police said. The man, 34, transported himself to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center. His condition was stabilized, according to Officer Michelle Tannehill, a police spokeswoman. After shooting him, the attacker took his belongings and fled.