Chicago Ends February Well Ahead of Violence Over Last Year with Another Four Dead, 10 Wounded

By Warner Todd Huston

The last weekend in February ended with another four killed and 10 wounded in Chicago. The tally puts the death toll well ahead of the end of the second month last year.

Over a chilly 48-hours, Chicago again had several incidents with multiple shooting victims per attack with one of those incidents ending with two killed.

Two men were killed early on Saturday morning during an incident in the city’s Woodlawn neighborhood. At about 1 AM two men in hoodies opened fire on a group of people attending a house party in the 6500 block of South Drexel. A 20-year-old man took a slug to the head and a 37-year-old man was hit in the chest. Both died soon after, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

A list of others wounded during the weekend includes a 15-year-old girl shot in the backside. She is in stable condition.

Thus far this year Chicago has already seen 98 people shot and killed with a total of 512 shot. Another five murders by other means brings the total killed in Chicago to 103.

Even as February, being one of the coldest months in Chicago, usually has one of the lower shooting tallies, the number of victims and deaths wracked up in the Windy City has already exceeded that of 2016, a year that ended with more shootings than any year in decades.

By the end of February last year 189 had been shot in Chicago compared to this year’s 201 total shooting victims. With 72 shot in 2014 and 75 shot in 2015, that is a 152 percent rise year over year.

“Palestinian” MUSLIM STUDENT LEADER at UK Exeter university declares she’s ‘proud to be a TERRORIST’

By Pamela Geller

The deep pride devout Muslims take in their hatred and blood-lust is eerily similar to the fervor of adherents of the Third Reich.

In a a rational age, this bloody seditionist would be thrown out of the country. But in the Islamic state of the UK, she’ll just as easily get elected Mayor of London on this platform.

PALESTINIAN STUDENT AT UK UNIVERSITY PROBED FOR DECLARING SHE’S ‘PROUD TO BE A TERRORIST’

EXETER University has launched a fresh probe into allegations of antisemitism after a Palestinian student tweeted she was PROUD to be called a terrorist.

By Belinda Robinson, The Express, February 28,2017:

Malaka Shwaikh prompted a probe over her remarks on being proud to be a terrorist

The Student’s Guild at the University of Exeter is investigating statements made by Malaka Shwaikh – who was recently elected as its vice-president representing post-graduates.

Miss Shwaikh, 25, has sparked controversy after she previously tweeted Zionism ideology is “no different to that of Hitler’s” and “Hitler did his deed and the Palestinians had to pay for it”.

Several days after her election, Miss Schwaik’s Twitter account was no longer available.

But the Jewish News has now published an image of a further tweet from her which read: “If terrorism means protecting and defending my land, I am so proud to be called terrorist.

“What an honour for the Palestinians!”Her comments follow an investigation at the same university just two weeks ago after a swastika and racist slogan were scrawled in student hall.And in September students were seen wearing T-shirts with racist and anti-Semitic slogans at a sports club social event.There is no suggestion Ms Shwaikh is connected to the incidents or has endorsed them.Exeter University said antisemitism was not tolerated and the students’ guild has launched an immediate investigation into the reports.

Tweet and Malaka Shwaikh

Charity Campaign Against Antisemitism claimed that she tweeted antisemetic views

The Campaign Against Antisemitism Twitter account also posted a video of Miss Shwaikh making a speech at a March Against Facism on the university campus.In the video, she says she is a Palestinian and had lost 66 members of her family in 2014 in one day from Israeli Army action.She said: “You are dealing with a woman who will never, ever feel weak in front of Islamophobic attacks.”I will resist. We will resist. I will continue the fight for freedom, justice, equality of my people in Palestine.”The university’s vice-chancellor Sir Steve Smith issued a statement saying acts of anti-Semitism would not be tolerated.

He said the university was committed to eradicating any form of discrimination or harassment.

A spokesman for the university said: “Exeter University has an unwavering commitment to tolerance, respect and inclusivity.

“These qualities are at the very heart of who we are and what we both expect and demand of everyone associated with Exeter.

“Our staff and students work tirelessly to ensure everyone feels welcomed, encouraged, supported and embraced, no matter their background, religion or nationality.”Anti-semitism is not tolerated. Even one incident of discrimination, racism, or harassment is one too many.”The Students’ Guild, Exeter University’s student representative body, is responsible for the election of student representatives. It has launched a thorough investigation.”The guild added: “We are committed to exploring the allegations of anti-Semitism with a thorough investigation.”Guild president Toby Gladwin added in a further statement the body was a passionate opponent of antisemitism and he was horrified by recent reports.

EXPECT “INDISCRIMINATE ATTACKS” BY ISLAMIC TERRORISTS, BRITISH CITIZENS WARNED

Terror watchdog says threat most severe since IRA bombing campaign

| Infowars.com – FEBRUARY 27, 2017

Britain’s newly appointed terror watchdog has warned citizens to prepare for “indiscriminate attacks” across the UK, expressing “grave concern” over the number of terrorists returning to the country.

Max Hill, a career terrorism prosecutor appointed as the independent reviewer of terrorism-related legislation, warned British citizens have not faced a comparable threat of terrorism since the bombing campaign waged by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in the 1970s.

Hill said there is an “enormous ongoing risk” while cautioning “it would be wrong to draw a simple comparison between Irish republicanism and the ideology of so-called Islamic State,” he said during an interview with the Sunday Telegraph.

“But in terms of the threat that’s represented, I think the intensity and the potential frequency of serious plot planning – with a view to indiscriminate attacks on innocent civilians of whatever race or colour in metropolitan areas – represents an enormous on-going risk that none of us can ignore.”

While noting the severity of threat, Hill warned against any hysteria due to the statistically small number of successful terrorist attacks in the United Kingdom.

“Although many people might be alarmed to hear me say that I think the threat is present and severe, we must remember that since July 2005 there has been in essence a single death in Britain from that form of terrorism, namely Lee Rigby on the streets of Woolwich,” he said.

Hill also expressed concern over the number of British citizens returning from Syria and Iraq after fighting alongside ISIS.

“It’s an enormous concern that large numbers – we know this means at least hundreds of British citizens who have left this country in order to fight – are now returning or may be about to return,” he said.

Despite proposed government efforts to force social media providers to remove content deemed “extremist-related,” Hill indicated his opposition to “draconian” measures that would threaten free speech online.

He also pledged to oppose any terrorism-related legislation by Prime Minister Theresa May’s government that would harm British society.

Jorge Ramos: America Is ‘Our Country, Not Theirs’—‘And We Are Not Going to Leave’

capture

By Katie McHugh 27 Feb 2017

Univision senior anchor Jorge Ramos declared on Friday that the United States belongs to Latino migrants, emphatically stating to a Spanish-speaking audience that “it is our country, not theirs.”

Ramos took an unusual tack, pivoting from talk of diversity and togetherness into boasts of conquest. Mass immigration, particularly illegal immigration, was a fait accompli. There is nothing the U.S. can do about it, and they must accept that America is “not their” country and that illegal aliens, particularly Latinos, “are not going to leave,” he said.

“I am an immigrant, just like many of you,” Ramos said in Spanish, as translated by the Media Research Center. “I am a proud Latino immigrant here in the United States. My name is Jorge Ramos, and I work at Univision and at the Fusion network.”

“And you know exactly what is going on here in the United States. There are many people who do not want us to be here, and who want to create a wall in order to separate us,” he said.

“But you know what? This is also our country. Let me repeat this: Our country, not theirs. It is our country. And we are not going to leave. We are nearly 60 million Latinos in the United States,” he continued. “And thanks to us, the United States eats, grows and, as we’ve seen today, sings and dances.”

“So when they attack us, we already know what we are going to do. We are not going to sit down. We will not shut up. And we will not leave. That is what we are going to do,” he added.

Ramos gave his speech on Friday during Premios Lo Nuestro, or “Our Awards,” on Univision.

Ramos, who immigrated to the U.S. from Mexico, frequently portrays American law as unjust and prejudiced and supports open borders.

“The taboo issue of an open border should be tackled. Not now. Politically it is impossible even to discuss that. But I don’t see why we can’t have in North America the same immigration that they have within the European Union,” Ramos said to Time magazine in 2014.

The U.S. should not enforce its immigration laws even after illegal aliens kill Americans, he said during a CNN interview in August 2015, because that would be “completely unfair” to the illegal population. In June of 2016, Ramos told a crowd of illegal aliens gathered in Houston, Texas, “I think you the DREAMers are the Rosa Parks of this time.”

And Ramos’ views are not fringe ones in Mexico: A 2013 poll found that 66 percent of Mexicans believe the U.S. government has no right to limit immigration, while 52 percent said Mexicans have a right to be in the United States. Another 88 percent said it is fine to enter the U.S. illegally if one needs money. Over half, 56 percent, said they had friends or family who tried to immigrate to the U.S. illegally.

 

Critics accuse European Parliament of censorship over ‘kill switch’ to cut racist remarks

capture

The European Parliament is introducing a new rule set to curb hate speech, cutting live debate feeds and removing video/audio traces of offensive remarks. A fierce backlash from press and MEPs has critics accusing the EU Parliament of censorship.

The new rule would let the chair of a debate cut a live feed from the parliament “in the case of defamatory, racist or xenophobic language or behavior by a member,” also imposing a $9,500 fine on the offender. Remarks deemed offensive could also be erased from “the audiovisual record of proceedings.”

The step apparently aims to tackle racist remarks by far-right members of the EU parliament. For instance last year, Eleftherios Synadinos, an MEP for Greece’s far-right Golden Dawn party, was expelled from the parliament after calling Turks “dirty and polluted” and comparing them to “wild dogs.”

*

Some MEPs agree that far-right rhetoric can go over the top at the parliament.

“There have been a growing number of cases of politicians saying things that are beyond the pale of normal parliamentary discussion and debate,” said Richard Corbett, a UK MEP who backed the new rule, according to AP.

“What if this became not isolated incidents, but specific, where people could say: ‘Hey, this is a fantastic platform. It’s broad, it’s live-streamed. It can be recorded and repeated. Let’s use it for something more vociferous, more spectacular,’” he added.

The latest step wasn’t made public and triggered a massive backlash by the press representatives and MEPs, with many of them questioning if the latest measure could amount to censorship.

“This undermines the reliability of the Parliament’s archives at a moment where the suspicion of ‘fake news’ and manipulation threatens the credibility of the media and the politicians,” Tom Weingaertner, president of the Brussels-based International Press Association, told AP.

Many journalists and MEPs took to Twitter to vent over the latest development.

capture

It should be noted that the issue was on the table as early as last December. Back then Gerolf Annemans, an MEP from Vlaams Belang, Belgium’s Flemish independence party, voiced his concern that the measure could be “abused by those who have hysterical reactions to things that they qualify as racist, xenophobic, when people are just expressing politically incorrect views,” as cited by AP.

Some of the MEPs voiced more balanced views, with German deputy Helmut Scholz saying that EU lawmakers are chosen to speak out on the state of Europe, adding that one “can’t limit or deny this right.” At the same time, he said a tool was needed to tackle Nazi shouts and racists remarks.

“We need an instrument against that, to take it out of the record, to stop distribution of such slogans, such ideas,” Scholz argued.

No evidence’ yet of Trump campaign contacts with Russia – House Intelligence Committee Chair

The House Intelligence Committee probe into possible improper contacts between Donald Trump’s presidential campaign and Russia has not found any evidence yet, according to the Republican committee chair.

*

“We still have not seen any evidence” that the Trump campaign communicated with Russia, Rep. Devin Nunes, the House Intelligence Committee chairman, told reporters on Monday.

*

Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser who spoke with the Russian Embassy in Washington prior to the inauguration, was just doing his job, Nunes said. He added that US intelligence services eavesdropping on the call amounted to “inadvertent collection,” but was “very interested” to find out who made the decision to publish Flynn’s name.

The Logan Act’s ridiculous and you know it,” Nunes told reporters who inquired whether Flynn was acting improperly.

No one has ever been prosecuted under the early 19th-century law banning US citizens from engaging in foreign policy without government sanction.

Reports that US intelligence services were listening in on the call were leaked in papers critical of the Trump administration following the inauguration, resulting in mounting pressure on Trump to fire Flynn, who resigned on February 14.

Democrats have claimed that Russian security services, personally directed by President Vladimir Putin, interfered in the US presidential election to help Trump, and even accused the Republican of being “Putin’s puppet.”

The accusations began after Democratic National Committee emails were published by WikiLeaks on the eve of the party’s national convention, revealing collusion among senior officials and Hillary Clinton’s campaign. In October, WikiLeaks published tens of thousands of emails from the private account of Clinton campaign chair John Podesta. Clinton and the DNC likewise blamed the disclosure on Moscow.

Intelligence Committee’s ranking member, Adam Schiff (D-California), has emerged as one of the loudest voices claiming Russian interference in the US elections and aid to the Trump campaign. No evidence of either claim has ever been provided to the public.