‘Urine on streets and riots’: Parisians threaten hunger strike over migrant camps

Parisians are up in arms over hundreds of migrants sleeping on their streets, queuing up in long lines, day and night, while waiting for their asylum requests to be processed, and some residents say they will start a hunger strike if the unkempt street camps are not removed.

Locals in the 10 and 19th districts, located near the famous Sacré-Cœur Basilica, are urging authorities to relocate a center that processes asylum requests in northern Paris, voicing their concern over the unsanitary and unhygienic conditions migrants are forced to live in.

“We had to install this fence to protect our communal parking from liters and liters of urine – this obviously cost money. And this was the only solution we came up with, but it is not sufficient, Oscar, a concerned resident, told RT.

Dozens of migrants, frustrated after days of waiting and sleeping in the streets, have no other option available to them other than to camp in Paris neighborhoods.

“Summer or winter, we are coming here every week to give food and medicine to the homeless. And with the influx of migrants there are more of them now. We have just distributed around 100 packages with sandwiches and pies, hygienic products and clothes. There are around 100 migrants out there who came from Afghanistan and Syria,” Nadia, a volunteer, told RT.

“The government is doing nothing at all,” she added. “It does not support the associations that help. People who are here [helping migrants] are all volunteers. We receive nothing from the government. We are asking private businesses – shops and bakeries for instance – to help us.”

Pierre Vuarin, a spokesman for a neighborhood association, told RT that, to solve the problem, authorities must first change the system of providing temporary facilities for asylum seekers.

“This system destroys our district, it destroys the image of the asylum seekers’ [and hurts] their rights. This system should be transformed into a decent system to help people return to their countries normally. If this is not done [by] the end of this year, our group will go on a hunger strike.”

Last month, Vuarin and a group of supporters wrote an open letter to President Emmanuel Macron, asking him to take measures.
They said that over the last two years, as many as 40,000 people have spent frustrating nights on a 100m-long sidewalk on Boulevard de la Villette, in northern Paris. Currently, there are more than thirty mini-camps that “appear and disappear” following police crackdowns, the letter said.

“The system of the reception platform for asylum seekers… makes thousands of people wait, forcing them to stay in our neighborhood without food and any roof over their heads. It creates conditions for permanent violence. This system has caused and continues to provoke frequent clashes between different [ethnic] groups. We have witnessed two riots with hundreds of people fighting against each other! There have been dozens of wounded in the last twenty months. Several times a week, police are forced to use tear gas to disperse the queue.”

“If no actions are taken to close down the temporary center for asylum seekers before January 1, we will be launching a hunger strike,” Vuarin and other activists warned.
Macron’s office responded that the French leader was “aware of the difficulties of cohabitation” he referred the problem to the interior ministry, Le Figaro reported.

Alexandra Cordebard, mayor of 10th arrondissement (district) of Paris, said the government had promised the asylum center would be removed by the end of the year.

In August, nearly 2,500 migrants, of mainly African origin, were evicted from a makeshift camp in the north of Paris. They were taken to 18 refugee centers across the French capital.

The numbers of refugees have reportedly grown in Paris following the closure of the infamous Calais ‘Jungle’ camp in the north of France, which was evacuated and razed last year, with over 6,000 of its residents being sent to various housing facilities across France. Following the camp’s closure, many of those displaced, hoping to find asylum in the UK, decided to relocate to the French capital.

Earlier this year, Macron’s government presented a plan to create more than 12,500 places in reception centers for asylum seekers and refugees by 2019.

Macron warned in October that all undocumented migrants convicted of a crime would be deported from the country. “We will take the most severe measures, we will do what we must do,” he said in a televised interview, as cited by AFP. “We’re taking care of the France where things aren’t going well,” the French leader added. His remarks came two weeks after a 29-year-old Tunisian man fatally stabbed two women at the Saint-Charles train station in Marseille.

(FROM THE RELIGION OF PEACE) – Two firebombs thrown at Jewish chapel in Malmo, Sweden

Two firebombs have been found outside a chapel at the Jewish cemetery in the Swedish city of Malmo as authorities step up security at Jewish sites after an attack on the Gothenburg synagogue. The incidents follow the US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.

Swedish police is looking into an attempted arson attack on the Jewish chapel after two bottles with what assumed to be an inflammable fluid were found Monday, Sveriges Radio reported, quoting police spokesman Lars Forstell.

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 2.59.05 PM

Although the fluid burned, the chapel suffered no damage. Pictures shared by local media show bottle fragments strewn in front of the door, with the ground darkened from fire.

The Jewish Assembly of Malmo said the suspected attack is “extremely serious.”

“We strongly emphasize that we can never accept being subjected to threats and attacks,” Assembly chairman Freddy Gellberg said.

Police reckon the incident took place between late Friday and Monday morning, the Aftonbladet reported, citing another police spokesman, Nils Norling.

The incident comes as the country’s authorities beefed up security at Jewish sites after a group of masked youths hurled Molotov cocktails at a synagogue in Gothenburg late Saturday, where local Jewish students were holding an event.

On Friday, Sweden’s third-largest city saw dozens of pro-Palestinian demonstrators chant anti-Jewish slogans, threatening “an intifada from Malmo.” The gathering came in the wake of US President Donald Trump’s decision to officially recognize Jerusalem as the Israeli capital, sparking angry protests across the globe.

Malmo synagogue rabbi, Moshe-David HaCohen, and the Muslim leader in Sweden, Imam Sheikh Maher, reacted to the events with a joint statement: “We do not accept any form of anti-Semitism or aggression against Jews in Malmo, in the same way that we do not accept any form of racism or discrimination,” AFP quoted.

Massive Pro-Palestinian protest held in Paris ahead of Netanyahu’s visit (VIDEO, PHOTO)

Explosion Rocks Central Manhattan: Four Injured, Suspect in Custody

The US President Donald Trump has been briefed on the incident that took place at a bus terminal in Manhattan near Times Square. An investigation is currently underway.

 

New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio has stated that the explosion that hit central Manhattan a few hours earlier was “an attempted terrorist attack,” confirming that one individual was involved in the attack.

Speaking at a joint press conference with the NYC mayor and the governor of New York, NYPD Police Commissioner James O’Neill has announced that the suspect in the Manhattan attack has been identified as Akayed Ullah, 27, adding that the man “made statements” to investigators indicating that the attack had been carried out in the name of the Daesh terrorist group, but “the question is did he claim connection to ISIS.”

READ MORE: Manhattan Terror Attack Suspect Identified as Akayed Ullah — New York Police

The statements were made after the New York Police Department had revealed that one person was taken into custody after the explosion, with at least four people wounded as a result of the blast, pointing out that “all injuries are non-life-threatening,” which has been confirmed by the New York Fire Department as well.

According to MSNBC, citing former NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton, the preliminary information suggests the suspect is in his 20s, possibly from Bangladesh, living in the US for seven years, “who supposedly was setting the device off in the name of Daesh.”

A minor NYC media outlet has reported that the suspect is a 27-year-old man from Brooklyn, with investigators reportedly heading to his home.

However, this information has not yet been confirmed by any official sources.

A NYPD official has revealed to NBC that the investigation into the blast is being lead by the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force.

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 2.38.05 PM

According to the White House, the US president has been briefed on the incident and New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio has also been informed of the explosion.

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 2.39.16 PM

Meanwhile, CNN has reported that police have found 1-2 explosive devices at the scene and are still searching for additional bombs at the site.

The explosion hit a bus terminal in Manhattan near Times Square.

 

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 2.40.26 PM
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 2.42.15 PM
The emergency services and law enforcement forces are working at the site, according to photos from social media.
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 2.43.21 PM
The NYPD has asked people to avoid the blast area, informing people that buses are bypassing the Port Authority and Times Square stations.

High schoolers pack Senate office building to push for DACA fix

If no legislative solution is found, illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children would once again be subject to deportation. (@blibal/Twitter)

by Joe Nuziale 

A Senate office building was packed with high school protesters who walked out of their schools on Thursday.

Armed with signs and their voices, numerous high school students from around the Washington D.C. area crowded into the Hart Office Building with demands for Congress to pass a new DREAM Act. The original DACA program was ended by Attorney General Jeff Sessions this past September with a six-month delay for lawmakers to find a solution.

If no legislative solution is found, illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children would once again be subject to deportation.

A police officer who spoke with reporter Daniel Dale said that the voices of the students echoing off the walls of the building’s atrium sounded “like a football game.”

According to a report from the Washingtonian, the students are expected to move to the House side of the U.S. Capitol building to call out House Speaker Paul Ryan. Ryan, R-Wis., was indecisive about voting on a standalone bill would restore DACA benefits to recipients.

 

34 Republicans Stab Americans In The Back, Demand That By Christmas Paul Ryan Must Fix…

When it comes to giving ultimatums, Trump is king among all American politicians. When he gives a deadline, and an order, things happen.

Not so much for other politicians. They can’t demand results in quite the way Trump can.

That’s a good thing, mind you. Because most other politicians don’t have in mind what is best for the country. Not even a group of 34 Republicans, pushing Paul Ryan to pass legislation that they think is best for Americans.

It’s not Repeal and Replace. It’s not a Wall. It’s not an updated Travel Ban – of course not.

It’s the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. That, for several Republicans, is the most pressing issue facing the nation.

And these conservatives are demanding that Ryan stop work on every other pressing issue to fix it.

Capture

The Washington Examiner reports:

Nearly three dozen House Republicans asked House Speaker Paul Ryan Tuesday to pass legislation this year that creates a permanent legislative solution to the expiring Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

“While we firmly believe that Congress must work to address other issues within our broken immigration system, it is imperative that Republicans and Democrats come together to solve this problem now and not wait until next year,” the 34 lawmakers wrote in a letter to Ryan.

Mind you, 34 Republicans is not exactly a supermajority. It’s hardly a fraction of Congress, in fact. Most Republicans were focused on tax reform rather than this.

But the fact that even a fraction of conservatives could lose focus is unsettling. And the fact that they could dare to give the government an ultimatum? Even more unsettling. The Commander in Chief dictates the top-down policies. It’s up to the rest of Congress to follow, or get out of the way.

Instead, they’re demanding that Ryan drop everything and fix DACA.

Well, newsflash, Repubs: fixing DACA is the Democrats’ job. Not yours. They’re the ones that have let it get this far without a permanent solution. Obama, after all, was the president that kept kicking the can down the road, and postponing a final decision on DACA.

Trump is working to find solutions for the most pressing matters for the country. He doesn’t have time for sideshows.

Neither does Ryan.

Source: Washington Examiner

WEEKEND: Government shutdown ‘could happen’ Saturday…WEEKEND: Government shutdown ‘could happen’ Saturday…

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.42.59 PM

By Christina Wilkie

President Donald Trump on Wednesday said that a government shutdown “could happen” as soon as Saturday.

“It could happen,” Trump said during a Cabinet meeting at the White House, in response to a reporter’s question about the Friday deadline for a spending bill to fund the government.

“The Democrats are really looking at something that could be very dangerous for our country,” Trump said. “They are looking at shutting down. They want to have illegal immigrants, in many cases people that we don’t want in our country, they want to have illegal immigrants pouring into our country, bringing with them crime, tremendous amounts of crime.”

Congress has until midnight on Friday to approve a short-term spending package to keep the government open. Despite majorities in both chambers, Republicans will need Democratic votes to pass the bill.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., responded on Twitter to Trump’s comments saying: “President Trump is the only person talking about a government shutdown. Democrats are hopeful the President will be open to an agreement to address the urgent needs of the American people and keep government open.”

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.48.19 PM

What congressional Democrats want in exchange for supporting the spending bill are permanent protections for the nearly 800,000 young, undocumented immigrants currently living in the United States who were brought here as children, the so-called Dreamers.

Earlier this year, Trump canceled an Obama-era protection policy for Dreamers, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA. The president’s order gave Congress until March 2018 to pass a bill with DACA-like protections. Republicans have signaled a willingness to address the issue in a spending bill later this year, but not in the short-term fix that must pass this week.

Trump, however, appeared intent on painting any DACA fix proposals as a sort of carte blanche for open borders. “The Democrats maybe would want to shut down the country because they want people flowing into our country,” the president said.