Published on May 24, 2018
Published on May 24, 2018
Travis Knight | Infowars.com – MAY 23, 2018
RT – MAY 22, 2018
“The type of criteria they of course have to meet – or the key one – is evidence of persecution, so that’s exactly what we will be looking at,” Home Affairs Deputy Secretary Malisa Golightly said. Home Affairs said 89 refugee visa applications relating to 213 people had been received, although they did not specify their ethnicity or any other details.
News reports emerged earlier this year revealing that white farmers in South Africa had faced persecution after the country’s government approved a new law allowing for the confiscation of their lands, which would be transferred to black citizens.
Following the reports, Australian Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton announced his willingness to start fast-tracking humanitarian visas for South Africans who had endured violent rural crime at home and wished to move Down Under. The step was slammed by the South African opposition, which called Australia, and those willing to escape there, ‘racist.’
The controversial legislation was endorsed by South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, who pledged to hand the lands owned by white farmers since the 1600s to black citizens of the country without compensation for the owners. South Africa’s 50 million citizens are predominantly black, but 72 percent of farmland reportedly belongs to whites.
The legislation evoked strong disapproval both in the country and internationally, with a reported upsurge in violence against white farmers. Last year, some 82 people were killed in a record 423 farm attacks, and there have been 109 attacks and more than 15 murders in 2018, Afriforum, a South African civil rights group reported in March.
The controversial reform may jeopardize commercial farming in the country, according to the Transvaal Agricultural Union of South Africa. Experts say that the South African government may repeat the mistake made by the government of Zimbabwe, which had passed through a state-sanctioned purge of white farmers in 1999-2000. The measure plunged the country into famine.
The policy comes a month after a Philadelphia manager called the police in April about two black men who asked to use the bathroom without purchasing anything and then allegedly refused to leave the cafe when asked.
Starbucks baristas and store managers have long found the coffee company’s guidelines on how to treat lingering nonpaying guests vague at best. One company executive told the Journal the guidance on nonpaying guests had long been a gray area, which the Philadelphia incident brought to the forefront.
The company said at the time that it had different guidelines for its 28,000 stores globally, depending on the market. The new policy will apply to its more than 8,000 U.S. company-operated cafes.
On Saturday, the company told its employees in a letter that “any person who enters our spaces, including patios, cafes and restrooms, regardless of whether they make a purchase, is considered a customer.”
Under the new policy, when a customer is “behaving in a disruptive manner,” employees should follow the company’s procedure on handling disruptive guests, which will contain some new guidance, a spokesman said. Starbucks didn’t say what that procedure entails or define what constitutes disruptive behavior. If a situation presents an immediate danger or threat to employee or customer safety, Starbucks employees should call 911, the company said.
Starbucks said customers should use spaces as intended, be considerate of others, and act responsibly.
During a talk about corporate responsibility at a Washington, D.C., think tank earlier this month, Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz told attendees: “We don’t want to become a public bathroom, but we’re going to make the right decision 100% of the time and give people the key.”
The Philadelphia store where the two black men were ultimately arrested had signs informing people the bathrooms and cafe were for paying customers only. The guidelines at that store were for employees to ask nonpaying guests to leave.
On May 29, Starbucks plans to close its company-operated cafes in the U.S. for the afternoon to provide employees with anti-bias education.
A 43-year-old man, identified as Donnell Horton, of the 1300 block of West 81st Street, was found just before 1 a.m. Thursday lying dead on the sidewalk in the 6900 block of South Sangamon Street in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side, Chicago policesaid. He had mulitple gunshot wounds in his back and legs.
He was pronounced dead at 1:13 a.m.
Over the course of several hours, officers searched the adjacent overgrown lawn and shone flashlights on the scene, street and nearby buildings.
No one covered the man’s body until the removal van pulled up on the one-way street lined mostly with mid-sized apartment buildings. The man had landed on the sidewalk on the east side of the street, in between a two-flat and a vacant lot with knee-high grass. As the sky lightened and 5 a.m. approached, two men covered him with a white cloth. A few minutes later, they loaded him into the rusty white van.
Also in Englewood, an 18-year-old man was shot in the arm and leg around 11 p.m. Wednesday. He was sitting in a vehicle in the 5700 block of South Peoria Street when the shooter came out of a gangway and fired at him, police said.
He was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center and is stabilized.
On the Far Northside, a 25-year-old man was shot in the lower back around 10:05 p.m. in the West Rogers Park neighborhood. He was a passenger in a vehicle in the 6300 block of North Mozart Street when someone fired at him from a passing red minivan, police said.
An acquaintence took him to Swedish Covenant Hospital, but he was transferred to Stroger Hospital where he is in good condition.
Earlier, a 19-year-old man was shot in the hand and bicep around 9:10 p.m. in the 10500 block of South Yates Avenue in the Trumbull Park neighborhood on the Far South Side, police said.
The man was taken to a local hospital where he was stabilized.
In a double shooting, two men were injured just before 8 p.m. in the 1400 block of North Spaulding Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the West Side.
A 53-year-old man was shot in the shoulder and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition was unknown. A 46-year-old man was taken to Norwegian American Hospital with gunshot wounds to the back and arm. His condition was also unknown.
About 15 minutes earlier on the South Side, a 36-year-old woman was shot in the arm around 7:40 p.m. in the 1800 block of West 87th Street in the Gresham neighborhood, police said.
She was taken to a local hospital where she was stabilized.
Around 7:35 p.m., a 25-year-old man was shot in the knee after hearing gunshots in the 6700 block of South East End Avenue in the South Side’s South Shore neighborhood, police said.
He was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center where he was in good condition.
Most recently, a 16-year-old was grazed in the knee about 3:20 a.m. in the 3800 block of West Cermak Road. Police said two unknown males approached the teen while he was walking down the street, then one shot at him from a handgun. The teen was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition.
In other shootings: