Obama builds Democratic voting base
The Obama administration has released a huge majority of illegal immigrant children who poured over the U.S.-Mexico border earlier this year into dozens of tony counties without notifying the public, while deporting just 280, according to new reports.
The Health and Human Services Department released a list of 126 counties 29,890 of the kids were placed into, sometimes with their parents who are also in the United States illegally.
Those counties include some of the most exclusive in the nation, including the Washington suburbs of Fairfax and Loudoun in Virginia and Howard and Montgomery in Maryland. Fairfax received 1,023.
States like California and New York were given large numbers of the unaccompanied children, while President Obama’s home state of Illinois, where experts expected many to go, received only 175, according to the list.
The HHS statistics covered only January to July. Federal officials expect another huge surge of children from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala to begin next week when the temperatures cool. One independent expert said that the second wave this year could include another 30,000 illegal children.
And next year could be even worse. Federal officials who predicted that 90,000 illegals immigrant children will enter the United States this year from Latin America are projecting that to increase to 142,000 next year.
Longtime immigration expert Jessica M. Vaughan said that the tiny number of deportations, which she cited in a report this week, encourages illegal immigrants to rush into the United States believing that they will be able to stay.
“The priority of the administration is to release the individuals to the United States,” said Vaughan, policy director with the Center for Immigration Studies. “They are not trying to persuade people from coming here.”
In its list of county-by-county releases, HHS said that they keep the identities secret. The children are expected to attend future immigration proceedings.
Wall Street banks are getting hit by cyber attacks every single minute of every single day
by MICHAEL SNYDER | ECONOMIC COLLAPSE | AUGUST 29, 2014
Wall Street banks are getting hit by cyber attacks every single minute of every single day. It is a massive onslaught that is not highly publicized because the bankers do not want to alarm the public. But as you will see below, one big Wall Street bank is spending 250 million dollars a year just by themselves to combat this growing problem. The truth is that our financial system is not nearly as stable as most Americans think that it is. We have become more dependent on technology than ever before, and that comes with a potentially huge downside. An electromagnetic pulse weapon or an incredibly massive cyberattack could conceivably take down part or all of our banking system at any time.
This week, the mainstream news is reporting on an attack on our major banks that was so massive that the FBI and the Secret Service have decided to get involved. The following is how Forbes described what is going on…
The FBI and the Secret Service are investigating a huge wave of cyber attacks on Wall Street banks, reportedly including JP Morgan Chase, that took place in recent weeks.
The attacks may have involved the theft of multiple gigabytes of sensitive data, according to reports. Joshua Campbell, supervisory special agent at the FBI, tells Forbes: “We are working with the United States Secret Service to determine the scope of recently reported cyber attacks against several American financial institutions.”
When most people think of “cyber attacks”, they think of a handful of hackers working out of lonely apartments or the basements of their parents. But that is not primarily what we are dealing with anymore. Today, big banks are dealing with cyberattackers that are extremely organized and that are incredibly sophisticated.
The threat grows with each passing day, and that is why JPMorgan Chase says that “not every battle will be won” even though it is spending 250 million dollars a year in a relentless fight against cyberattacks…
JPMorgan Chase this year will spend $250 million and dedicate 1,000 people to protecting itself from cybercrime — and it still might not be completely successful, CEO Jamie Dimon warned in April.
“Cyberattacks are growing every day in strength and velocity across the globe. It is going to be continual and likely never-ending battle to stay ahead of it — and, unfortunately, not every battle will be won,” Dimon said in his annual letter to shareholders.
Other big Wall Street banks have a similar perspective. Just consider the following two quotes from a recent USA Today article…
Bank of America: “Although to date we have not experienced any material losses relating to cyber attacks or other information security breaches, there can be no assurance that we will not suffer such losses in the future.”
Citigroup: “Citi has been subject to intentional cyber incidents from external sources, including (i) denial of service attacks, which attempted to interrupt service to clients and customers; (ii) data breaches, which aimed to obtain unauthorized access to customer account data; and (iii) malicious software attacks on client systems, which attempted to allow unauthorized entrance to Citi’s systems under the guise of a client and the extraction of client data. For example, in 2013 Citi and other U.S. financial institutions experienced distributed denial of service attacks which were intended to disrupt consumer online banking services. …
“… because the methods used to cause cyber attacks change frequently or, in some cases, are not recognized until launched, Citi may be unable to implement effective preventive measures or proactively address these methods.”
I don’t know about you, but those quotes do not exactly fill me with confidence.
Another potential threat that banking executives lose sleep over is the threat of electromagnetic pulse weapons. The technology of these weapons has advanced so much that they can fit inside a briefcase now. Just consider the following excerpt from an article that was posted on an engineering website entitled “Electromagnetic Warfare Is Here“…
The problem is growing because the technology available to attackers has improved even as the technology being attacked has become more vulnerable. Our infrastructure increasingly depends on closely integrated, high-speed electronic systems operating at low internal voltages. That means they can be laid low by short, sharp pulses high in voltage but low in energy—output that can now be generated by a machine the size of a suitcase, batteries included.
Electromagnetic (EM) attacks are not only possible—they are happening. One may be under way as you read this. Even so, you would probably never hear of it: These stories are typically hushed up, for the sake of security or the victims’ reputation.
That same article described how an attack might possibly happen…
An attack might be staged as follows. A larger electromagnetic weapon could be hidden in a small van with side panels made of fiberglass, which is transparent to EM radiation. If the van is parked about 5 to 10 meters away from the target, the EM fields propagating to the wall of the building can be very high. If, as is usually the case, the walls are mere masonry, without metal shielding, the fields will attenuate only slightly. You can tell just how well shielded a building is by a simple test: If your cellphone works well when you’re inside, then you are probably wide open to attack.
And with electromagnetic pulse weapons, terrorists or cyberattackers can try again and again until they finally get it right…
And, unlike other means of attack, EM weapons can be used without much risk. A terrorist gang can be caught at the gates, and a hacker may raise alarms while attempting to slip through the firewalls, but an EM attacker can try and try again, and no one will notice until computer systems begin to fail (and even then the victims may still not know why).
Never before have our financial institutions faced potential threats on this scale.
According to the Telegraph, our banks are under assault from cyberattacks “every minute of every day”, and these attacks are continually growing in size and scope…
Every minute, of every hour, of every day, a major financial institution is under attack.
Threats range from teenagers in their bedrooms engaging in adolescent “hacktivism”, to sophisticated criminal gangs and state-sponsored terrorists attempting everything from extortion to industrial espionage. Though the details of these crimes remain scant, cyber security experts are clear that behind-the-scenes online attacks have already had far reaching consequences for banks and the financial markets.
In the end, it is probably only a matter of time until we experience a technological 9/11.
When that day arrives, will your money be safe?
Five people are suing the Missouri police for $40 million, claiming officers treated US citizens “as if they were war combatants.” The five were arrested in the wake of rioting and unrest following the death of teenager Michael Brown on August 9.
The group claims they were going about their everyday business before they were assaulted and arrested by the police who showed, “militaristic displays of force and weaponry.” The defendants in the case are the city of Ferguson, St. Louis County, Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson, St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Delmar, Ferguson police officer Justin Cosmo, as well as other police officers from Ferguson and St. Louis County, Reuters reports.
The alleged incidents took place between August 11 and 13. One of the plaintiffs includes a 17-year-old who was arrested and allegedly ‘roughed up’ by police at a McDonald’s restaurant along with his mother, Tracey White, for simply not leaving the fast food chain quickly enough. According to the suit which has been filed, officers with rifles threw the mother to the ground before handcuffing her and her son.
White claims she was arrested because she would “not shut up.” She and her son were detained for five hours by police, she says, adding “It was so horrifying” and “we did nothing wrong,” according to AP.
Dwayne Anton Matthews Jr., 23, says he was shot by rubber bullets as he walked through the protest zone, trying to get to his mother’s house. The lawsuit says that he fell into a creek or sewer, where police officers “pounced on him, slammed his face into the concrete and pushed his head under water to the point that he felt he was going to be drowned.”
He also alleges that police called him a “coon” and a “mophead,” in reference to the long dreadlocks that he wears.
The case was brought by attorney Reginald Greene, who said, “This is a blatant example of how police handle African-Americans … how it can go terribly, terribly wrong. You have a right to peaceful assembly.”
Two other plaintiffs said they were protesting peacefully in Ferguson when law enforcement officers fired tear gas, stun grenades and rubber bullets at them, while another said he was arrested for simply trying to film the protests on his camera.
Journalists have also not been able to escape police violence, simply for doing their jobs. Jasmine Heiss, an observer with Amnesty International, expressed concern over reports that journalists were being teargassed while performing their jobs.
“Just last night I’ve heard several journalists and community say that either gas was thrown at them while they were reporting or, in the case of the community members, that gas was thrown into residential neighborhoods while they were walking,” Heiss told RT on August 20.
A number of journalists have been arrested and have had to face intimidation from law enforcement officers. In one heated encounter, a police officer is actually caught on video telling journalists, “I’m going to f***ing kill you!”
Police officers point their weapons at demonstrators protesting against the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri August 18, 2014. (Reuters / Joshua Lott)Police officers point their weapons at demonstrators protesting against the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri August 18, 2014. (Reuters / Joshua Lott)
According to AP, attorney Malik Shabazz said the lawsuit could be broadened to include additional plaintiffs. Shabazz, who is a member of the group Black Lawyers for Justice, said, “The police were completely out of control,” and “in those initial days, it was virtually a police riot,” AP reported. Law enforcement officials in Ferguson declined comment on the case.
Speaking on August 14, US Attorney General Eric Holder condemned the tactics used by the police in making an already-volatile situation even worse.
“At a time when we must seek to rebuild trust between law enforcement and the local community, I am deeply concerned that the deployment of military equipment and vehicles sends a conflicting message,” he said.
US President Barack Obama attended Brown’s funeral on Monday and said that he would review the distribution of military hardware to state and local police, a senior administration official said on August 23.
Brown, 18, who was unarmed, was shot by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson on August 9. Witnesses say the teenager had put his hands up in the air before he was shot multiple times in the head and chest.
Police fire tear gas at demonstrators protesting the shooting of Michael Brown after they refused to honor the midnight curfew on August 17, 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. (AFP Photo / Getty Images / Scott Olson)Police fire tear gas at demonstrators protesting the shooting of Michael Brown after they refused to honor the midnight curfew on August 17, 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. (AFP Photo / Getty Images / Scott Olson)
Police give a different account, saying Brown was shot in a struggle with a gun in a police car, but have not said why Brown was in the car. At least one shot was fired during the struggle and then the officer fired more shots before leaving the car, police said.
The officer at the center of the scandal, Darren Wilson, has been given leave of absence from work on full pay, but has not been arrested.
Once a mainly white town, Ferguson’s demographics have changed significantly in recent years, with around two thirds of the 21,000 population now black. However, this is not reflected in the local police force, with just three black officers out of a total of 53.
Al-Qaeda this week published an online magazine featuring instructions on how to build homemade car bombs and an appeal to Muslims to attack UK and US targets in the vein of the Boston bombers.
The English-language magazine, entitled ‘Palestine: Betrayal of the Guilty Conscience Al-Malahem’, urges Muslims in the West to assemble pressure cooker bombs like those used to attack the Boston marathon last year.
In a list of “examples of targets,” the magazine suggests attacks on the UK’s Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, MI5’s Thames House and Marks & Spencer department stores during Friday prayers, so as to avoid harming Muslims.
The list features US targets including Times Square, casinos in Las Vegas, Georgia Military College, the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs and the General Atomics headquarters in San Diego. It also suggests attacks on Israeli, British and American company headquarters and holiday destinations abroad, oil tankers and busy train stations.
A screenshot from azelin.files.wordpress.comA screenshot from azelin.files.wordpress.com
A nine-page spread offers instructions on how to “make a bomb in the kitchen of your Mom,” step-by-step photographs, a shopping list, and admiring words about Boston bombers the Tsarnaev brothers.
“This recipe gives you the ability to make a car bomb even in countries with tight security and surveillance,” one article reads, before providing a list of supplies including cooking gas, oxygen gas, a barometer, decoration lamps and matches.
“If you are sincere in your intentions to serve the religion of Allāh, then all what you have to do is enter your kitchen and make an explosive device that would damage the enemy if you put your trust in Allāh and then use this explosive device properly.”
A timeline of terror attacks, including 9/11 and the Boston bombings is concluded with a blank entry marked ‘201?’ implying a terror attack on American or British soil is planned for the near future.
“The timeline concludes with the date 201?’ and blank spaces and question marks for the photo and information of the next attack – implying that it is coming soon,” Steve Stalinsky, of the Middle East Media Research Institute, told Fox News.
“There could be some envy by AQAP that IS is now getting all the headlines.”
The magazine is a supplement to the terror group’s Inspire magazine, aimed at encouraging Muslims in the West to carry out lone-wolf terror attacks. “Inspire Magazine’s goal is to empower Muslims. And what is empowerment without being strong, powerful and intelligent?” the publications reads.
“In this section, we give you strength, power and intelligence. Believe me, using car bombs gives you all that.”
More than 130 people were arrested outside the White House Thursday for staging a protest to demand that President Obama take executive action on immigration reform. (AP Photo)
More than 130 people were arrested outside the White House Thursday for staging a protest to…
More than 130 people were arrested outside the White House Thursday for staging a protest to demand that President Obama take executive action on immigration reform, the latest example of the president being pressured to act more quickly on the hot-button issue.
The immigrant rights groups Casa of Maryland and Casa of Virginia said the rally contained “one of the largest number of immigrant supporters ever arrested for a civil disobedience action in front of the White House.”
“Taking action through civil disobedience is one small measure to stop the suffering of immigrant families facing separation through deportation, and the suffering of the neighbors, friends, coworkers and co-congregants that love them,” said Gustavo Torres, executive director of the groups. “Today, on this national day to fight for families, we call on President Obama to do everything in his power to enact humane and compassionate administrative relief that will end our suffering.”
Obama is weighing whether to expand the deferral of deportations to millions of additional immigrants in the U.S. illegally. He could also propose a massive overhaul of how green cards are awarded, said immigration advocacy groups.
The president is expected to announce his plan by the end of summer.
Activists also have been arrested outside the White House in recent months for calling on the president to block the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline and to issue executive orders to strengthen worker protections for gay citizens.